Friday, November 1, 2013

Beloved Children

Here and now, I wonder how relationships inherent
Could ever be just what I see, even though it seems inerrant
That children, bright, should reverence give, to me; the parent!
Is it really as it seems or is it incoherent?

For when I look beyond the now and venture even bolder,
I am not sure just who is the child and who, in fact, is older.
My children seem so wise to me, so good, and broad of shoulder.
I wonder if the truth will come when the fires of life but smolder?

Perhaps, someday, the time will come when they will wear a crown
And on a throne will sit, august, and graciously look down
At me, the jester in the court; a knave, a fool, a clown.
And I, in awe, will bow my head and reverently kneel down.

I thank the Lord, our Father, for trusting me to teach
Beloved spirits; children, His; and help them all to reach
Their full potential. May I fulfill this contract, and may I never breach.
To this end I humbly pray and of my God beseech.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Dean,
    Very nice. I have felt that way too about my kids and the wonderful job they are doing in dealing with raising their families and getting through life. I have to take exception however, on your 3rd stanza. If this is how you are feeling some days, let me assure you, you have worked for IPSC way too long and they are getting to you. :)

    ReplyDelete