Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Paragon of Learning













My dear Mr. Basset, a dear friend indeed,
In the hearts of my children, you have planted the seeds
Of virtue, integrity, and how to excel,
And led them with patience to that vast and sweet well
Of knowledge and learning and social behavior
That will help them someday, to become like the Savior.

No one can know of the sacrifice you’ve made,
Just what you gave up, or the price that you paid
To make Delta North a paragon of learning
Where kids have esteem and their young minds are yearning
To see how far they can go, or to what heights they will reach.
But, I am grateful to you and your colleagues who teach.

It is men such as you Scott, who forged this great nation.
Who were willing to look past their own paltry station
To bury complacency in the wake of their deeds
And follow their vision, to fulfill the needs of the future.

Six children have I who utter your name
With love and respect, and I feel the same!
I wish you the best as you make a new start,
And thank you again from the bottom of my heart.


Written to Mr. Bassett, principal of the Delta North Elementary School upon his decision to move to district management. 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment