Monday, August 10, 2009

Stay the Course


You asked me once how a father behaves,
Claiming you had never been shown.
By this, I’m perplexed, for as fatherhood goes,
You rank with the finest I’ve known!

My grandchildren live in a home full of joy.
By example they’re taught and they’re led
To follow the Savior in all that they do,
And to read and to pray before bed.

Their mother; you treat like the queen that she is;
She’s revered as your helpmeet in life.
As her father, who loves her, I’m grateful to you,
For you know how to treat your good wife.

As you finish this chapter in life’s fickle book,
And depart from the learning of schools.
It appears to me that you’ve paid the good price.
You’re prepared, and you have all the tools.

But, if you’re seeking advice from this salty old dog
Before I and your family are parted,
I would simply say this (and I know that I’m right),
"Stay the course that you’ve charted!"


To a great son-in-law at his graduation from college. 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment