Sunday, August 30, 2009

Peril Noctu

I stumble blindly in the night
Down a darkened hallway where
I’m drawn up short by a flash of pain;
Bitten by some monster there!

I’ve stubbed my toe, and something cries,
I slip, and I’ve pierced my heel.
The light reveals: a doll, a truck, legos ...
Is that a banana peel?

My sweetheart hears my curse of rage,
The baby in her arms,
As if her presence in the doorway there
Can shelter me from harm.

The floor is littered with children’s toys
My woes? I’ll not recite ‘em.
A rattle clamors to the floor,
Add Infant Item!

1 comment:

  1. I caught it, Dad -ad infinitum. Very cleaver. But I must confess, I would not have caught it had you not asked me what the phrase meant earlier, unless maybe I had just finished playing the game "Catch Phrase."

    ReplyDelete